Thursday, 25 September 2014

Round 3 2014 - Final Check In

"Alice Springs ridge". Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Alice_Springs_ridge.jpeg#mediaviewer/File:Alice_Springs_ridge.jpeg
I was away on a 5 day retreat a couple of weeks ago. In Alice Springs. And since then, something has shifted inside me. I still can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but something seems to be simmering away. Calmly, but simmering nonetheless. :)

So, I'm not sure what this means in terms of writing, but for the final check in, let me share what I was doing before I went to Alice.

1. I wrote some free verses and I'll share a couple here.

The Hairy Molly

Hairy Molly
Ripple-roll body
Covered in cobwebs
Climbing the wall.

Writing at the Kitchen Table

Heaven forbid
You have a thought
You want to jot down
Before you forget.
Three-year olds will vanish
Before finishing their food.

I had a lot of fun with these and the other bits I wrote.  It was a completely different way of writing. This is something I'll have to let percolate as well.

2. Art Journalling

I got a lot of satisfaction from art journalling before I went to Alice as well. I shared some bits and pieces on my Google+ page, which I'll link to here.



There are changes ahead, that much I know. What the exact nature of those changes are, I can't say. Like I mentioned before, it's all percolating.

Coming Up


Some online friends and I are going to do a Bingo Story Challenge. Are you familiar with this? Basically you create a 'bingo card' with an online generator. The generator has a selection of lists for you to choose from, and once you've selected your list(s), the words/concepts from those lists are filled into the bingo card and become prompts for your stories. The challenge is to complete a bingo card in the traditional manner, making your way across the card by writing stories for each prompt along the way.

We have set ourselves a minimum wordcount of 500 words, the deadline is December 31st. This is another little exercise to remind myself that writing can actually be enjoyable.

What went wrong?


I'm not sure where I've been going astray with writing up to now. When I first started writing my novel, it was fun. I loved it. It was a voyage of discovery. It was Magic.

Over the years, the fun slowly but surely eroded away. I don't know if it's because I know too much about the craft and what I needed to aim for, or if it's because I'm trying to reach a standard that only comes after decades of writing,

What I do know is that it's all - yup, you've guessed it! - percolating. :)

And that's it from me for this round.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading new comments so thank you for sharing. I'll be sure to get back to you to continue the conversation. :)