Thursday, 8 January 2015

ROW80: The Writer's Playdate goal

"Eisman-Semenowsky Dame mit Kaffeetasse". Licensed under Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Eisman-Semenowsky_Dame_mit_Kaffeetasse.jpg#mediaviewer/File:Eisman-Semenowsky_Dame_mit_Kaffeetasse.jpg

I have one (writing-related) goal for this round, and that is:

  • To keep a Writer's Playdate on the Saturdays when my son has swimming lessons. 
In my last post before Christmas I mentioned that writing is no longer a priority, and that is true, but it doesn't mean that I want to give up on it COMPLETELY. Writing every day was not working for me. Working out the nitty gritty of my novel, documenting it, and daydreaming about it wasn't compatible with the other demands on my time and attention.

But two or three hours for a playdate? That, I think, is do-able.

I'm going to give it a go, anyway.

An Experiment


Some time ago, I blogged about a writing craft book I'd read called Writing in Overdrive by Jim Denney. In the epilogue, Denney describes an experiment based on something Dorothea Brande wrote about in Becoming a Writer. It's a 5-step process to write a story at a particular time and date. I'm not sure how well that process as it's outlined by Denney will fit into my schedule, but I do have an alternative and that is to use prompts to simply free-write a story for the playdate.

Let's see how that goes! :)

As always, wishing the best to all my fellow ROWers, and hoping 2015 has gotten off to a wonderful start for you all.

Check out their blogs here.

7 comments:

  1. I think your writing play date sounds like a great idea. There's less pressure and it fits easily into your schedule. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise. Yes, less pressure, definitely. I want writing to be fun, a creative outlet. I think this experiment will help with that. :)

      Delete
  2. If you take time to writer, you are a writer. And the fact you are not giving up and trying to make it work in your life is great. There are lots of people who spend only one day a week writing and end up having writing careers. I wish you the best moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gloria. Even writing one day a week could be considered "consistent", couldn't it? :) And they say that's what's required, consistency. The main thing is that I don't want to feel frazzled or frustrated - that's not good for me or my family. Here's to the Writer's Playdate. (Emphasis on the PLAY part!)

      Delete
  3. Good idea. Sometimes as writers I think we push too hard with gurus claiming a writer should write every day. Can be a kill joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A writer's play date sounds like the perfect way to kill some time while your son is swimming. Hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I'm always trying to find ways to remind myself that writing is PLAY. It can be FUN, even when it's challenging. Calling it a playdate sounds like a good strategy. So do you meet up with another writer for your Writing Playdates or is it that you have a playdate with your writing?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading new comments so thank you for sharing. I'll be sure to get back to you to continue the conversation. :)