|Image courtesy of Prawny at morguefile.com|
Bear in mind that I am not aiming to be a Professional Writer - I lean far more towards the Writer-Artist end of the spectrum (or Artist-Author as Jami Gold describes it in her post) - and my writing goals are something similar to Diana Gabaldon's when she first started writing:
- I will not stop, I am going to write and finish the whole novel (no matter how long it takes);
- I will do my best each time I sit down to write.
One thing I have learned is that until I have gone as deep into the story as I can, there's no point in trying to fit the "bare threads" story onto the frame called Structure. Story and Structure are equally important, but Story has to come first, otherwise there's nothing to fit over the Structure.
And so, onto the vlog. Apologies for the traffic noises in advance! :)
This is a blog hop. Check out my fellow ROW80ers.
List of resources mentioned in the video:
- The 90 Day Novel by Alan Watt (available on Amazon and at Kobo)
- Take off your Pants by Libbie Hawker (Kindle ebook)
- The Anatomy of Story by John Truby (print book, Kindle ebook, Kobo ebook)
- Super Structure by James Scott Bell (Kindle ebook, Kobo ebook)
- Jami Gold's beatsheets
Also, I will not be taking part in Round 2 as our second child is due not long after it starts, so I'll wish you all the very best with your Round 2 goals now. :)